1 Remove the old modem
- Unplug the power cord from the wall.
- Disconnect the coax cable, Ethernet cable and phone cords (if applicable) from the old modem.
- Set the old modem and power cord to the side for return.
* If a Spectrum receiver is connected to the cable wall outlet, see the instructions below. Not all cables will be used during installation.
- Disconnect the Spectrum receiver's coax cable from the wall outlet. Connect one end of the short coax cable to the outlet in the wall, and the other end to the side of the splitter with the single connection (IN).
- Connect one end of the Spectrum receiver's coax cable to one of the (OUT) connectors on the splitter. Make sure the other end is connected to your Spectrum receiver.
- Connect one end of the long coax cable to the other (OUT) connector on the splitter and the other end to the modem.
- Continue setup at step 2.
2 Connect the new modem
- Connect the coax cable, Ethernet cable and any phone cords that were removed in step 1 to the new modem.
* If connecting a phone cord, make sure you connect it to the same port it was connected to on the old modem. This will usually be port 1.
3 Connect the power cord
- Plug the new power cord into the modem, then plug the other end into an electrical outlet.
- After you plug in the modem, wait for it to connect to the network (about 2 to 5 minutes) before proceeding to the next step.
4 Activate the modem
- To start your service to go to https://activate.spectrum.net on your desktop or mobile device.
- If you have a WiFi router connected to the modem during activation, please restart the WiFi router after the modem is activated.
5 Return the old Spectrum modem
- If the old modem was provided by Charter, you can return it using the box the new modem arrived in. Simply remove the cardboard tray on the left side and slip the old modem into the enclosed bubble sleeve. Pack the padded modem and power cord into the box, seal it and attach the enclosed shipping label.
- To ship the package, you can drop it off at a Spectrum store or FedEx location, or call FedEx for a pickup.
- When we receive the modem, we'll remove it from your account.
- If replacing existing Charter-issued equipment, please return the devices and cables using the enclosed shipping label. You may incur a charge if Charter-issued equipment isn't returned.
Click here to download Spectrum Modem Replacement Instructions (PDF).